Friday, April 6, 2012

Nicholas Paul


                                                
Nicholas Paul was born the 6th of January, 1822 in the Parish of Parran in Sowarthal, Cornwall, England. He was the son of Nicholas and Nancy Ann Heath Paul. He received his education in this vicinity of England, and married Harriet May in June, 1846, at Cornwall. She was the daughter of Abraham and Jane Trellis May and was born the 30th of December in the same city. Their first child, Harriet, was born the March 3rd , 1847 in England. While she was still an infant the  couple left for Cape Town, South Africa. Nicholas Paul was a builder and contractor and was sent to South Africa with other young educated men to help establish the English province.
Nicholas built his families in Mowbray about three miles south of Cape Town. The Paul’s were well liked, respected and influential in the community.
Nicholas was either the second of first man to be baptized as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Here is the account of Nicholas Pauls conversion to the church:
"The first missionaries to go to far off Africa were Jesse Haven, Leonard I. Smith and William Walker. They had headquarters in Cape Town. Upon their arrival in that country, Elder Walker traveled alone in the vicinity of Mowbray, about four miles distant. He had been refused shelter at the inn, and sixteen different homes when he asked assistance of a Mr. Ralston, who refused on account of the lack of room. Elder Walker wrote, May 20, 1853. ‘A Mr. Paul, Mr. Ralston’s senior partner, a contractor and builder, was there and overheard our talk and as I walked away expecting to have to walk to Cape Town, he overtook me and said that I had better go home with him. I had an umbrella but was wet up to my waist. It was after nine o’clock when we got to his home, but his wife made a good warm fire and gave me some supper. Getting warm and partially dry, I sang and prayed with them. After conversing some two hours, I retired comfortably to bed. In the morning after breakfast, as I returned to Cape Town, I again found that almost every home was turned against me.’
Treasures of Pioneer History, Vol.6, p.274
June 12, 1855—"We held our meeting with a full house and good order, however, threats were made that the doors and windows would be broken and the meeting broken up. Mr. Nicholas Paul who was a master workman and builder, had from forty to fifty men in his employment the year around and was of considerable influence. He took a decided stand and told those who made threats that they were welcome to the meeting, but that the first man that offered an insult on his premises, either to the house or to the Elders, would be in danger of having more holes made through him than there were in a skimmer. After that no one dared come there to molest us in the least. Thus it will be seen that Mr. Nicholas Paul was the first and only man in South Africa who had the moral courage and stamina to defend the servants of God and bid defiance to mob rule. From that time as long as I remained in that vicinity, I had a room furnished, nothing lacking for my comfort, for which I was truly thankful. God certainly had overruled the acts of men for the accomplishment of his purposes. From this time on we had regular meetings on Sunday and through the week."

Elder Walker wrote this in the evening of June 22, 1853
"I conversed with Mr. Paul until 2 o’clock at night, as we were going to bed, and I advised him not to postpone being baptized after he was convinced of the truth. He said he was ready but thought that I would not go out such a dark, rainy night. I said yes, I never stop for rain or the dark. We walked a mile and he was baptized, and on the 25th, I baptized his wife, Mrs. Harriet Paul.

            The Paul family arrived in Salt Lake City on October 5, 1860 Before leaving South Africa Nicholas bought material, hosier, shoe thread, and other supplies. He sold these items to provide for his family until he could find work. He also bought a team of oxen and a cow to cross the plains. The cow supplied the family with plenty of milk, they sometimes has enough to share with others. He lived at Fillmore, Deseret, and Holden. Being a contractor and builder he again followed his trade and built many of the homes and important buildings in that part of the country. For this reason he moved from one small town to another. In 1867, he was called by President Young to help build the Old Cove Fort. He was a splendid workman and his services were in constant demand throughout the territory.
His wife died on 6th of June, 1894 and he died May 1801. How he died is unknow but here is an account of what happened:
He was on a trip to visit his daughter Emma who was living in Garrison, Utah. Much of the trip was over desert country, where water was scarce and traveling dangerous. He left Meadow Creek on the 8th of May, 1901 and was never heard of again. His horse came home with a rope around its neck. A posse was formed who went east of Crystal Peak where they found his buggy and supplies. The next year, in the spring of 1902, a sheepman found the remains of a man south of Crystal Creek which was later identified by Mr. Paul’s son, William, as his father. His remains were brought to Holden and laid to rest in the Holden cemetery.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I'm a descendant of Nicholas Paul and Harriet May also, through their daughter Elizabeth. I see you're probably still serving your mission as I post this reply. I've heard this story before, but not some of the details, and I appreciate your report and insight. Thank you! And I hope you're having the time of your life in Guatemala. A mission is the best thing you'll ever do, even if it's the hardest. :)

    Jennifer Wise (jenniferwmswise@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Ian Wrench and I am a member living in Cape Town. I was delighted to pick up this story by Googling 'Paul Nicholas'. My parents joined the church in 1950 in Bloemfontein, but we regularly visited my grandparents who lived in Cape Town and I sort of grew up in Mowbray branch. When I married we moved to Cape Town and Mowbray Branch was our home branch, and in fact I was Branch President there for two years. I am now a church historian and have just been looking for additional information to that we have from the Walker and Haven journals, hence my Googling. I was wondering what artifacts or records you may have that will help add some colour to the Paul we just see as a name in a book, although we know him as a kind and helpful man who listened and acted upon the message the elders had for him. Thank you for posting this message. I do hope that you see my message. my email address is ian.wrench@telkomsa.net

    ReplyDelete